Saturday, July 2, 2016

It's What We Do

When I called my friend Sandra to ask her to march in the Lehighton Sesquicentennial parade with the Lehighton Area Democratic Club contingent, she said she already had plans to visit her daughter that day, but she would try to rearrange the schedule.  

At the parade today she said her husband exclaimed, “I can’t believe you would march in a parade on a holiday weekend,” and Sandra replied,”It’s what we do.”

I’ve thought about that.  People who are “political” often have difficulty explaining why they spend all that time canvassing, marching, stuffing envelopes, raising money, and demonstrating when it would be so much easier to relax and have a beer.  

I think Sandra’s answer was one of the better I’ve heard.  It’s what we do.


By the way, if you saw the parade, that ten-year-old boy marching with the Club was our grandson Gavin. 

2 comments:

  1. I will be in a parade on Monday. It is always a fun time to spend with like minded people. More people should try it. I think it's more fun than watching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And it's such an American thing to do on Independence Day weekend.

    ReplyDelete