Tuesday, November 6, 2018

A day at the polls

It’s 8:03, and I have no idea who won what.  Will our country continue its decline, or has the House flipped?

Today I passed out slate cards at the Palmerton Rod and Gun Club polling location.  I wasn’t there the whole 13 hours, but I did get there about 7:15, took a break mid-morning to drive a Lehighton resident to her polling place, went back for the lunch time rush, took another break mid-afternoon, and was back for the evening rush.

At the end of the day I felt fairly confident in my ability to judge Republican and Democratic voters when they got out of their cars.  If they were women under thirty, they were Democrats.  In fact, almost all of the women who arrived alone seemed to be Democrats.  Women with their husbands were harder to guess.  

Very old men (my age) were more likely to give me a thumbs up or “you got my vote” than guys in their 40s and 50s.  Young guys were hard to tell.  White guys in their 40s and 50s were generally hostile.  Trumpers, no doubt.  (In the entire day, I saw one African American.)  

I also observed a great deal of anger on the part of Republicans.  If people were pleasant and smiling, I’m pretty sure they were Democrats.  While some women turned down the cards because they were voting Republican, they were nice about it.  The Republican men, on the other hand, were surly, rude, nasty.  Why are they like that?


As many readers of this blog know, I’m an atheist, but right now I’m praying for the Blue Wave to wash across America.

No comments:

Post a Comment