Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Straight ticket voting

In Pennsylvania voters are allowed to vote a “straight ticket.”  For example, a Democrat can go in and vote “Democratic,” thereby voting for every Democratic candidate on the ballot.

It makes voting fast and easy.  Some reformers believe that if voters were forced to vote for each individual office, the voters would cast more thoughtful ballots.  Other observers feel that getting rid of straight ticket voting is actually a way to disenfranchise voters, many of whom would fail to vote in down ballot races.  

In Carbon County far more Republicans voted straight ticket than Democratic voters.  This is in keeping with the idea that Republican voters are more ideological and more likely to reject the idea that opponents would have any candidate worth voting for.


I personally like straight ticket voting.  I liked it even better when we used the machines with levers.  You’d go in, pull the curtain, pull the big lever for the big D, and all the little levers would clang into place.  It gave me a warm feeling.

2 comments:

  1. I wish we could vote straight party in Illinois. I say that because I have never knowingly voted for a republican. I don't intend to start now! I feel that republican politicians are out to hurt people,though they would deny it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only time I vote for a Republican is at the very low level, Township and county. Other than that it Demo all the way.

    ReplyDelete