Monday, November 5, 2018

Why I do what I do

Last night Linda and I worked a phone bank for our Democratic Congressional candidate Denny Wolff.  Today we met him at a campaign appearance in Lehighton.  Tonight we went out and put up yard signs at 18 polling places for Wolff, for the gubernatorial candidate Tom Wolf, for the U.S. Senate candidate Bob Casey, and our candidate for the state House Kara Scott.  Tomorrow Linda is passing out slate cards at the Towamensing Municipal Building; I’m working the Palmerton Rod and Gun Club.  We plan to be at our stations at 7 a.m.  And tomorrow night, after the polls close, we will drive around to pick up the signs.  

Do I enjoy any of this?

No, I do not.  I would rather sleep in.  I would rather watch Monday night football.  

Then I remember the kids separated from their parents.  I remember the Muslim ban.  I remember the lies that now run into the thousands.  The insults.  The dismissal of science.  The income tax cheating.  The environmental rollbacks.  The tax cuts for the rich, and on, and on.


I am driven.  I have to do this.  I truly believe that our 200+ year experiment with democratic government is at stake.  It may already be too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment