Sunday, November 25, 2018

If you see something, say something

We ate lunch in a Denny’s on Thanksgiving Day.  I think it was in Indiana, but Indiana and Illinois kind of run together, so I’m not sure.  Anyway, there on the huge tv screen was Fox “News.”  I didn’t walk out, but I told the woman who was taking the payments that I thought a restaurant like Denny’s could run a non-political channel that would not insult its customers.

I am very polite when I do this, recognizing that often the employees are powerless to change the policy.  That seemed to be the case in this particular Denny’s; the woman told me they didn’t like it either, but it was what “Corporate” wanted.  She said when the “big boss” wasn’t there, they often changed it.  

Now I will have to write to Denny’s Corporation and tell them of my displeasure.  Just think if hundreds, or thousands, or hundreds of thousands of customers did that.  How long do you think Fox “News” would play?

Incidentally, I don’t ask that they play MSNBC or CNN.  The Weather Channel is not offensive, and it is actually helpful to travelers.  ESPN will do.  The old movie channel will do.  Telemundo will do.  Anything but Fox.


2 comments:

  1. In my travels I have found that some hotels and restaurants only have limited options with cable companies. Some areas have cable companies that don't carry MSMBC or CNN. That tells me immediately that I'm in republican country. When that happens I make the decision not to do anymore business with them. The dollar is the only thing they understand. My dollars go elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do that also, but I always let them know, and I tell them that I will also tell my friends.

    ReplyDelete