Sunday, January 27, 2019

Presidential candidates

I have backed quite a few losing candidates for President over the last half century.  In 1968 I was a “Clean for Gene” college student.  In 1972 I was out every evening in Alameda campaigning for George McGovern.  In ’76 I was the 10th California Congressional district coordinator for Morris Udall.  In ’80, Jerry Brown.  In ’84, Gary Hart.  In ’88, Dukakis.  I campaigned for Bill Clinton, but lost with Al Gore in ’00 and Kerry in ’04.  With Obama I was on the winning side, but then in ’16 I supported Clinton.  

I am proud of every one of those candidates, whether they won or they lost.  I am convinced I supported the better candidate in every race.


Now at least eight or nine Democrats have announced their bid for the presidency.  It is way too early; I believe we should concentrate on registering voters and electing candidates to local offices.  I do have a favorite, but I am not about to announce who it is.  I am afraid I will jinx her.

No comments:

Post a Comment