Tuesday, January 22, 2019

The End of "The Forward"

The Forward, a paper that started out as a Yiddish-language daily 121 years ago, announced that this spring it will be a digital publication only.  The paper, known originally as The Jewish Daily Forward, reaches 2 million online readers a month.  The print version has only 16,000 subscribers, and the Yiddish version now has fewer than 1000 subscribers.

My opinion is that the 2 million people reached online really don’t read the paper.  They probably look at a few headlines on their phones.


When the Morning Call asked me if I wanted a digital subscription, I said absolutely not.  When I read a newspaper, I want to read a NEWSPAPER.  If you think you are informed watching MSNBC and reading some headlines on your phone, I challenge you to a current events quiz.  The loser buys the winner a six-pack of Coronas.

No comments:

Post a Comment