Monday, July 6, 2020

"Defund the police"

When I heard the slogan “Defund the police,” my first thought was what the heck does that mean.  Later I read a number of explanations, almost all of which started out, “We really don’t mean that the police should be defunded, but...” and then went into a long explanation.

So guess who is using this useless slogan to his advantage.  Here is something for Millennials to keep in mind.  Any slogan that requires a long explanation is not a good slogan.  “Black lives matter.”  Good slogan.  They do matter, and it makes its point.

“Defund the police.”  Not so much.  And now we are stuck with it.  I can come up with others, like “They are our police,” “Serve and protect,” or “Fight crime, not us.”  Ok, they might not be great, but they are better than “defund the police” that has now made its appearance in an effective Trump ad.  

I want my side to start thinking strategically.  Or just thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment