Sunday, September 6, 2020

Chernobyl

 I’m watching a five-part HBO series entitled “Chernobyl,” about the explosion and fire at a nuclear power plant in 1986.  The film is riveting.  We learn about the attempt of government officials to shift blame, use propaganda instead of facts, and deny scientific evidence.

On the other hand, we also learn about the heroism of volunteers who carried out dangerous and life-threatening jobs to prevent further explosions and release of radioactivity.  We learn about nuclear physicists who defied the KGB to get at the truth, and we learn that some government officials did their best to avert an even worse catastrophe.  


As I watched the program, I kept thinking how close we came to a similar accident at Three Mile Island in Pennsylvania in 1979.


I know many environmentalists are considering that nuclear power might be the best alternative to petroleum-derived energy sources.  Perhaps if they reviewed what happened at Chernobyl and Three Mile Island, they might have second thoughts.  


Wind and solar power are still the way to go.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your concerns regarding nuclear power but Solar and Wind will not provide power when the sun has set or there is no wind. Hydro is good but do you build more damns? More fossil fuel plants? Batteries - how do you dispose of? I do not know the answer but you do need a method to provide immediate power for surges and windless nights

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not sure, but I believe there are ways to store power in times of surplus and use it when needed. But I certainly could be wrong.

    ReplyDelete