Thursday, September 10, 2020

Stuffing envelopes

 Many years ago I was part of a group of volunteers stuffing envelopes in a political campaign.  One of the group, a woman who ran campaigns and was amazingly good at it, told us, “The longer I’m in politics, the more I just want to sit at a table and stuff envelopes.”

So that’s what I’ve been doing tonight.  I had this bright idea to send applications for mail-in ballots to area Democrats in senior housing and board and care homes along with a postage-paid and already addressed envelopes and instructions on how to fill out the applications.  


That is three pieces of mail to stuff–application, envelope, and instructions.  Each of the envelopes I’m stuffing also has to be addressed, and there are hundreds.  


I understand exactly what that campaign manager meant.  You don’t have to think, don’t have to worry about policy.  All you have to do is address, fold, stuff, stick on the stamps, and drop them off at the post office.


Speaking of post offices, I wrote to Sen. Toomey and Rep. Meuser about DeJoy and the slowdown.  Both replied today with long letters that were boiler plate nothing burgers.  Toomey even referenced a “conspiracy theory” that the Post Office was deliberately being slowed down.  I think by this time we have enough proof of the slowdown, and we also have enough proof to know that Toomey is a useless tool who cares not one whit for American democracy.

No comments:

Post a Comment