Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Trump yard signs and their effect on me

 It has been said that when people hear a British accent, they automatically add ten points to that person’s IQ.  On the other hand, when they hear a southern accent, they automatically deduct ten points.  

I find something similar when I see a Trump yard sign in front of an acquaintance I once thought was intelligent and reasonable.  I can’t help it.  I immediately make a harsh judgment.  I think, “Wow, I never realized that person didn’t care about the environment, didn’t care about democracy, didn’t see that this president is a self-serving clown who cares nothing about America or its people.”  I don’t think Trumpists are necessarily racists, but they are supporting a racist.


I can still talk to them, still be civil, but I can’t feel the same way I once did.  And whether Trump wins or loses, I don’t think I will ever have the same relationship or the same trust.  I don’t feel good about that, but I don’t think I am over-reacting.


4 comments:

  1. It makes it stuff to deal with, especially when itsin your own family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen absolutely no Trump signs anywhere on the Peninsula, but they might just be shy supporters. I had lunch with an evangelical friend (we do have them in Silicone Valley) last week who cloaked her Trump support by saying she really likes Pence. She continued that I am her only friend she can talk freely with about politics.
    RE: Biden signs - I ordered one about a month ago (it cost me $25), and was just notified it's in the USPS system. Whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the Biden/Harris sign guy for Carbon County, PA. We are getting orders every day, something that just didn't happen in 2016. Unfortunately, some of my work is going back to people to replace signs that were stolen.

    ReplyDelete