Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Climate quiz

 The New York Times ran a “climate quiz” today.  There were four questions.   I got the one about hybrid cars right, but I failed the other three badly.  Here’s one that I failed.


You decide to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by becoming a vegetarian for one year.  Your friend doesn’t want to change her diet, but decides to cut down by purchasing only bulk foods (nothing with any form of packaging).  How many years would it take your friend to save the same amount of greenhouse gases as you?


I guessed one.  Here is the answer:


You’d have to avoid food packaging for approximately 11 years to have the same impact as one year without meat, according to a 2013 study.  Nearly everyone in the original survey guessed low, with the median response at 1.1 years.  (The possible range of correct answers is 10.5 to 11.7 years.  That’s because it would be nearly impossible, and not necessarily a good idea, to completely eliminate all packaging.  To cut down on spoilage, we’re stuck with at least a bit of it!)


In any case, I need to eat less meat.

2 comments:

  1. I read this comment too late, after I posted. I could do that. Then I wouldn't have to struggle to come up with a topic. Good idea.

    ReplyDelete