Thursday, October 1, 2020

Campaigning during a pandemic

 In previous presidential campaigns volunteers would be coming to our headquarters for lists of people to contact door-to-door.  These lists would be in street order, sometimes odd side and even side, and were called “turfs.”  I’ve walked turfs in Weatherly, Jim Thorpe, Summit Hill, Lansford, Nesquehoning, Lehighton, Bowmanstown, and Palmerton.  I’ve even “walked” (one driver, one runner) in Bear Creek Lakes.


That no longer works.  First of all, it is dangerous to the walker.  Secondly, who would open the door to a stranger wearing a mask?


So, what does a presidential campaign do?  You send out letters with individual messages to voters.  Over 3000 so far, written by an army of volunteers.  You urge them to vote and explain why this election is crucial.


Second, you put out signs.  The Trump campaign is better at this, but we are catching up, and we put ours in yards.  They scatter them along the right-of-way, which simply shows they have signs, not supporters.


Third, we register voters and explain that the Trump tax cuts are for the rich.  We have almost two more weeks to get those registrations in.


Fourth, we use door hangers.  You don’t need to talk to the voters; you just put the door hangers on the door knobs.  It’s easy, quick, and again, shows we have an army of volunteers.


Fifth, we organize poll watchers to make sure that the Trumpists don’t intimidate voters.  They may very well try this, using Q-Anon crackpots and white supremacist “Proud Boys” and Klan members.  We will be training poll watchers to make sure that no voter is intimidated.  Interfering with someone’s right to vote is a federal crime and a felony.


We also have a few more tactics up our sleeves, but I don’t want to give everything away.

3 comments:

  1. Dr. Christman:

    You were my PoliSci prof for three classes when I attended San Jose State 96-98. You were an inspiration and an excellent instructor who helped me organize my thinking about politics. I'm glad to see you're still active and involved.

    You make an interesting point about the "Bradley Effect" in this election, that it cuts both ways. There was a part of me that was getting more and more nervous as the election approached and new polls came out, that even with Biden's lead, it's not a "done deal" if Trump does have a "silent majority" out there, that the "silent majority" Trump voters may really have been the biggest reason for Clinton's defeat in 2016.

    You bring up a good point that Biden has a "silent majority," as well. I live in Alabama now, and I don't feel at all comfortable having a Biden bumper sticker or Biden lawn sign.

    Also, I think it's going to be an early night for Biden if Florida and especially Texas go for Biden on election night. If they don't, then I think it's going to come down to Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Wisconsin. If they all go Biden, it might be safe to breathe a sigh of relief.

    Be well, Dr. Christman, and thank you for your political involvement in Pennsylvania.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Ho, how nice to hear from you. (And yes, that is how I remember you, as Mr. Ho.) What I am hoping for is an overwhelming Biden victory, so any claim of a "rigged election" will be moot.

    But on a personal note, how did you ever end up in Alabama? I hope you are at least living in Tuscaloosa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure a Biden win at any level would satisfy the Trump fanatics. They'll spend some time talking about how the election was stolen then move on to attacking Biden through Hunter.

    I live in Mobile, actually. I met a girl from Birmingham and moved out here around 2001. That marriage lasted until 2015.

    ReplyDelete