Saturday, September 2, 2023

Houston shuts down 28 school libraries

Houston schools are having all kinds of problems.  The solution–the state took over the school system, hired a charter school executive to run the schools, and then shut down 28 school libraries, firing the librarians and turning some of the library spaces into disciplinary centers.


Will this really help?  I can’t imagine a school that has no library.  Even the one-room schools I attended for the first six grades had book cases full of books.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like nazi Germany - do the state officials wear brown shirts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next thing will be the book burning in the town square. Let us hope that the Führer doesn't rise to the top.

      Delete
  2. At least there has been a reaction by Houston parents. I'm just not sure they will be able to do anything once the state takes over. I sometimes think Pennsylvania is bad, then I read about Texas and Florida, and I'm glad I live here. And yes, wghat is occurring in Houston smacks of fascism.

    ReplyDelete