Saturday, September 16, 2023

Newfoundland dogs in Beltzville Lake

I was at Beltzville Lake today and saw about 10 tents by the water’s edge near the swimming area.  Curious, I walked down to see what was happening and learned it was the New Pen Del Newfoundland Club’s water tests.  The Club has members from New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Delaware, and they own and train Newfoundland dogs for water rescues.  Everyone, including the dogs, was pleasant and friendly.  


The dogs are divided into categories by the amount of training they had.  I watched some of the beginners, and it was obvious they needed more training.  A kind woman filled me in on what was happening.  These clubs are located across the country; today one of the participants had come down from Maine.  She told me that Newfoundland dogs were bred to help fisherman pull in their boats, and one of the exercises did involve dogs pulling a boat toward the shore.  She also noted that the dogs rescue swimmers, and there have been cases where a Newfoundland has pulled a child out of a swimming pool when no adults were around.


I think if I ever got a dog it might be a Newfoundland.  I’m not a very good swimmer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment