Sunday, September 3, 2023

Scabs

That’s the term used for people who cross a picket line during a labor strike.  I don’t know if young people even know that term.  I was heartened to see all the signs that said “I support my UPS driver” when the union was negotiating the new contract.  Incidentally, FedEX is not unionized, so do the right thing.


I’ve been a member of four unions:  the Bethlehem Municipal Workers, the Teamsters, the United Food and Commercial Workers, and the California Faculty Association.  As a part-timer at San José State University, I had no retirement benefits, no health care benefits.  Then the faculty voted to join the California Faculty Association. (I had supported the United Professors of California, an AFL-CIO affiliated organization, but the CFA quickly became as militant as the UPC).  I have a pension and a supplement to Medicare.  The CFA did that.


In an incredible irony, many of the non-union chain stores (and most are non-union) are remaining open on Labor Day, a holiday specifically dedicated to American workers.  Please don’t shop at any of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment