Saturday, September 9, 2023

Old age crisis

Tonight I’m canning pasta sauce and listening to oldies, and the Eagles come on singing “Take it to the limit,” and I realize that in my 80 years of life I have never taken anything to the limit.  This depresses me no end.  Is it too late?  Can I make that trip to Sardinia I always thought about?  Can I buy a Vespa and drive across the country?  Why am I standing by the stove canning pasta sauce when I have so little time left.


The pasta sauce is really tasty, but it doesn’t seem like it’s enough.

3 comments:

  1. I'm only 67 but I have those same thoughts. For example, I it too late to go to Mt. Washington and ski Tuckerman's Ravine?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 67. You're a kid. Go for it. And maybe I'll see you in Sardinia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Professor: To paraphrase an expression commonly attributed to "my" people, the best time to visit Sardinia was 20 years ago. The second-best time is now.

    ReplyDelete