Wednesday, January 3, 2024

Gag rule in Kidder Township

Over the past few years I have spoken at quite a few Planning Commission, Borough Council, and Township Supervisor meetings in Carbon County, Pennsylvania.  I’ve spoken about sewage sludge, development at Mauch Chunk Lake, and gerrymandering.  


I’ve spoken in Lehighton, Lansford, Weissport, Nesquehoning, Bowmanstown, Parryville, Jim Thorpe, and Palmerton Boroughs and Lower Towamensing, Mahoning, Banks, East Penn, Packer, Franklin, Lehigh, and Penn Forest Townships.  I’ve spoken to officials wearing MAGA hats and governing bodies in which every member was a Republican.


I was not a resident, property owner, or tax payer at any of those jurisdictions.  Nonetheless, I was always treated with respect and listened to.  I have been impressed with the dedication of local officials and appreciated how well I was treated.  


Until tonight.


Kidder Township has approved or has pending giant distribution centers.  Distribution centers are one of the reasons the Lehigh River has been listed in the top ten American rivers most at risk.  I live in the Lehigh River watershed, and I had prepared a two-minute presentation to alert the Planning Commission that distribution centers built in Kidder Township would most likely have a deleterious effect on the Lehigh.


I was told I could not speak.  I was not a property owner in Kidder Township.  I tried to speak anyway, but was gaveled down.  I didn’t push it; two police officers were in the back of the room, and I did not want to be arrested.  I will not allow one bad experience with one group of local officials to change my mind about other Carbon County local officials.  I must say, however, that Kidder Township officials ought to start thinking about potential harm they are doing to the environment in the watershed they share with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment