Tuesday, January 23, 2024

SJSU on strike

The faculty at San José State University and the other campuses in the CA state system are on strike.  The demands include higher wages and fewer students per classroom.


When I started teaching at San José State the profs were not organized.  In the early 80’s we had a system-wide election between the United Professors of CA and the CA Faculty Association.  I was recruiting for the UPC, an AFL-CIO affiliated union.  CFA won; I thought at the time the profs just  couldn’t quite picture themselves in the same organization as steel workers and farm laborers.  Nonetheless, in a few years the CFA was part of the Santa Clara County Labor Chapter and had all the trappings of a full-fledged union.  Benefits flowed.


In my lifetime I’ve been a member of four unions:  the Bethlehem Municipal Workers, the Teamsters, the United Food and Commercial Workers, and the CFA.  I receive pensions.  I have medical care.  And I will now sing “Solidarity Forever” and “You can’t get me, I’m part of the union.” 

1 comment:

  1. I was a member of the International Bookbinders. I was working for the reproduction department of an industry film company. We had a camera that produced a 48" x 96" negative. I took my brother's place. Mostly I cleaned. Then the union shop steward discovered me. I thought I would get fired. Instead, my hourly went from$1.65/ hour to $3.50.

    ReplyDelete