Sunday, January 28, 2024

Schema for rooting

You’re on the couch watching the playoffs between two out-of-state teams.  How do you know who to root for?  My old department head Dr. Hennessey had a whole plan worked out, but it was mostly for college teams.  He rooted for East over West, North over South, secular over religious, pubic over private.  For example, Berkeley over Stanford or Michigan over Notre Dame.  I forget what he did if the categories crossed; for example, if a northern private college played a southern public college, but I think he had some sort of scale worked out.


Tonight’s game between Detroit and San Francisco would be East vs. West.  Or it might be old declining Rust Belt city vs. high tech West Coast hub.  On the other hand, I lived for 32 years in the Bay Area during the Joe Montana/Jerry Rice era.  


It’s a tough one.  I decided not to watch the game.

1 comment: