Saturday, November 3, 2012

By less than one vote per precinct


Tom Bradley, the mayor of Los Angeles, ran for governor of California against Republican candidate George Deukmejian in 1986.  I was a precinct volunteer in San Jose for the Bradley campaign.  I had identified supporters in my precinct and was doing my best to get them to the polls.  About 7:45 I realized that one of the women on my list still had not voted.  I thought about blowing it off; I wasn’t even sure if I could get her to our polling location by 8 o’clock.  I decided to try, and she voted with about two minutes to spare.

The election was close.  How close?  Deukmejian beat Bradley by less than one vote per precinct.  I was disappointed that Bradley had lost, but I got that one vote in my precinct.  

I thought of that today when we were canvassing in Franklin Township and knocked on the door of a woman in her eighties who didn’t realize she was still registered.  She said her son would take her to vote.  That’s how you win elections. One more vote.

If you haven’t volunteered to help in the Obama campaign, there’s still work to be done.  Call your local headquarters.  We need your help.

No comments:

Post a Comment