Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Not a scientist, man


The best estimate of the earth’s age, based on the latest scientific research, is about 4.5 billion years old.  The figure is based on radiometric dating of meteorites.  

Marco Rubio, possible Republican presidential candidate, was asked by a GQ magazine interviewer:  “How old do you think the earth is.?”

I will now quote Rubio’s answer as found in the Science section of the New York Times yesterday.  
     I’m not a scientist, man.  I can tell you what recorded history says, I can tell you what the Bible says, but I think that’s a dispute amongst theologians.
     At the end of the day, I think there are multiple theories out there on how the universe was created, and I think this is a country where people should have the opportunity to teach them all.  I think parents should be able to teach their kids what their faith says, what science says.
     Whether the earth was created in seven days, or seven actual eras, I’m not sure we’ll ever be able to answer that.  It’s one of the great mysteries.

The great mystery is why an intelligent (?) man would equate a Biblical story of creation with the latest scientific evidence.  Why do Republican leaders continue to degrade scientific research relating to global climate change, human reproduction, evolution, and pollution?  It really is the stupid party.

No comments:

Post a Comment