Monday, November 19, 2012

Wal-Mart Action


On Friday, November 23, Linda and I are driving to Stroudsburg to participate in an informational picket in front of the Stroudsburg Wal-Mart. “Black Friday” seems like an excellent time to tell people just how Wal-Mart mistreats its employees.

The informational picket is being organized by a group called OUR Wal-Mart.  In the past Wal-Mart has strongly resisted any efforts to unionize any store (except in China).  Usually the company, the largest employer in the U.S., has brushed off any union action, but this time Wal-Mart has filed a complaint with the National Labor Relations Board, which I see as a indicator that Wal-Mart is concerned.  

Wal-Mart knows that the NLRB takes months to rule on complaints, but this is the company’s way to warn any “associates” (Wal-Mart speak for underpaid workers) that they will be in trouble if they participate in actions not approved by the company.  Wal-Mart has also threatened arrests of people in front of its stores.  If Linda and I are arrested, I expect my readers to start a bail fund.

OUR Wal-Mart stands for Organization United for Respect at Wal-Mart. I probably mentioned this before, but I have NEVER bought anything at a Wal-Mart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment