Thursday, November 15, 2012

Emails


I refuse to read or watch anything about General Petraeus, but I do know that the “scandal” began with emails sent by his biographer to another woman.  

Today I read in the Morning Call (page 9) about emails from Jesse White, a Washington County Democratic state legislator who supported the natural gas industry.  He solicited funds and even a ride to the Superbowl from Range Resources, a Marcellus Shale drilling company.  Evidently Rep. White, disappointed in the lack of funding from the Range Resources, then became a critic of the the gas industry.  Irritated by the turnaround, the company released the earlier emails, much to White’s embarrassment.

When you send an email, think to yourself:  How would this look on the front page of my local newspaper?  How would this look on the 6 p.m news?  

In my own case, I sent what I thought was a private email to the editor of the Times News, only to see it in print the following week in the Letters to the Editor column.  Lesson learned.

2 comments:

  1. I have always maintained that when something is written, either on paper or the internet, it is always possible for anyone to read it. Same thing goes for phone calls.

    If someone really wants to keep something private but wants to discuss something with someone, you should invite them to meet in a swimming pool with no one else around. A bit drastic to do that, then it all comes down to he said-she said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the swimming pool idea. You could see the wires for any recording device.

      Delete