Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Fishkill and the Konkrete Kids


Last week Linda and I spent a night in Fishkill, New York. I went to Wikipedia to find out if there was anything to do in Fishkill, and I discovered that People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) had demanded that the town change its name. 

PETA had obviously no idea that the word “kill” was Dutch for stream or creek.  (Hence Catskill and Schuylkill).  My reaction was, Wow!  PETA is really stupid.  

I thought about that this morning when I read in the Morning Call that some guy has started an on-line petition to get the Northampton Konkrete KIds to change their name because “KonKrete Kids” (his spelling) means KKK.

This got me to thinking.  I am a graduate of Palmerton High, Class of “60.  We were the “Blue Bombers.”  Is that a reference to some unhappy Mid-East terrorist group?  If only I knew how to start an on-line petition.

1 comment:

  1. Perhaps the PETA people should do some research about the history of things before they decide things. So many things were named and determined by our ethnic backgrounds.

    ReplyDelete