Saturday, September 21, 2013

Tom DeLay, John Boehner, and Jesus Christ


Tom DeLay, former House Republican Majority leader convicted of money laundering, had his three-year sentence overturned by a Texas appeals court earlier this week.  He did launder money, but the court said the law didn’t cover the activity in which he was engaged.  He was noted for his ruthlessness, his ability to extract money from lobbyists, and his hard-edged conservatism.

According to reporter Adam Nagourney, when DeLay received the news of the court action, he said:  “I just thank the Lord for carrying me through all of this.  It really drove my detractors crazy because I had the joy of Jesus in me, and they didn’t understand it.”

Another Jesus reference was reported today by Gail Collins.  Representative Mike Kelly (R-PA) compared John Boehner to Jesus.  Talking about the attempt to shut down the federal government, Kelly said: “I don’t want this to be like Palm Sunday, where we bring the speaker in on a little donkey and then next Friday, we crucify him.”

So far neither DeLay nor Boehner has been reported to walk on water

No comments:

Post a Comment