Thursday, June 26, 2014

Cellphones and the Supreme Court


Finally the Supreme Court got one right, ruling 9-0 that a cellphone search requires a warrant.

I thought about making a snide comment about how this didn’t affect me; the best way to avoid a search was to forego buying a cellphone.  Nevertheless, I’m fully aware that most Americans do have cellphones.  

In the majority opinion, Justice Roberts discussed “general warrants,” which allowed the British government to conduct unrestrained searches.  He said it was one of the causes of the American Revolution.  I like it when conservative judges realize that the Constitution must be flexible and applicable to modern technology.

One commentator said that the Supreme Court probably ruled that way because all of the justices had cell phones and didn’t like the idea that cops could simply search their records.  Whatever the reason, it was a good decision.  

(By the way, a few weeks ago Linda did buy me a “track phone,” and I actually made two calls on it.  Then I lost it.  I’m not getting another one.)

No comments:

Post a Comment