Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Dumb and Selfish


No, I’m not talking about Ted Cruz.  I’m talking about me.

Dumb:  I volunteered last year to be the Treasurer of the Committee to Elect Helen Torok.  Ms. Torok was running for a seat on the Lehighton Borough Council, and I knew she would be excellent.  

It is the duty of the Treasurer to file campaign expenditure reports.  One was due the second Friday before the Primary, and it had to be in by May 9.  We’ve had no activity in 2014, and I totally forgot.  The penalty is $20 a day for the first six days you are late, and $10 a day after that, excluding weekends.  Today I realized I had missed the deadline and went into the Registrar’s office to report.  I owe $220.

I found out the treasurer is personally responsible for the late fee.  Money from the campaign cannot be used to pay the fine.  Ok, lesson learned.  The next report is due June 9, in by June 19.  I will be on time.

Selfish:  I should have gone to Harrisburg for the Raise the Wage rally.  Instead I stayed home to plant peppers, cucumbers, and okra.  Do I feel guilty?  Somewhat, but I was hoping they wouldn’t miss one person.  And if everyone thought like that, there would be no rally.  I will do better next time.

1 comment:

  1. As the old saying goes. Never bite off more than you can chew.

    ReplyDelete