Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Jim Thorpe


My sister-in-law from Texas and my uncle from Newport News, Virginia, are visiting us this week.  This morning we took them to see the memorial for Jim Thorpe.  We also saw the courtroom where the Mollie Maguires were tried, and we stopped by the train station and the 7+ ton of coal in the downtown park.  

I stopped in at Dugan’s to buy my New York Times, and I mentioned to Mr. Dugan how impressed my relatives were with this area.  I said something to the effect that those of us who live here don’t appreciate what we see every day.  The man behind me said, “Isn’t that the truth.”  

The moral of this story is:  Try to see your surroundings like a tourist.  Almost anywhere people live would be interesting to a visitor.  Try to see your own neighborhood through the eyes of a tourist.

No comments:

Post a Comment