Thursday, June 19, 2014

Washington Redskins


The Trademark Trial and Appeal Board issued an opinion yesterday that a team can’t trademark a racist name.  The owner of the Washington team will appeal. 

Here’s the rule on this subject.  You cannot tell a group or a person what is and what is not insulting.  You can’t say to American Indians, “Redskin really isn’t an insult, it’s a term of endearment.”  That is not for you to say.

It is not for you to lecture an ethnic or racial group how they should react to labels.  You can’t call me a dumb Dutchman and then say, “Don’t get so upset--it’s no big deal.”  To me the term “dumb Dutchman” is insulting to me, and I get to decide what is insulting to me, you don’t.  

I will use a non-racial epithet for the owner of the Washington “redskins.”  He’s a total ass.  It’s not trademarked.  Feel free to use it yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment