Saturday, June 7, 2014

Sgt. Bergdahl


Perhaps you’ve noticed that I try not to comment on topics that everyone seems to be going nuts over, like Christie’s bridge problems, or the Republicans’ obsession about Benghazi, or speculation about Hillary Clinton, but I just have to say something about Sgt. Bergdahl.

I have yet to see a POW/MIA flag or bumper sticker that said, “But leave the deserters and bad soldiers there.”  I have yet to see a Republican recognize that there is a difference between Al Qaeda and the Taliban.  I can’t believe that McCain said a few months ago that he would seriously consider the exchange of five Taliban leaders for Sgt. Bergdahl but now says he would not have made this deal.

And WTF does the length of Sgt. Bergdahl’s father’s beard have to do with anything?

Then there’s the argument that men lost their lives looking for him.  I know an unnecessary war over weapons of mass destruction in which thousands of American men and women lost their lives for nothing.

In a column entitled “President Obama Was Right,” David Brooks noted that Israel once traded 1,027 Palestinian prisoners for one Israeli.  I certainly don’t know the circumstances of Sgt. Bergdahl’s capture, but I do know he was an American.  He was one of us.  Get him home.

No comments:

Post a Comment