Thursday, August 18, 2016

Bat in the house

Tonight when I entered the house from the front porch, I caught a glimpse of what I thought was a very large moth flying in through the open door.

About 15 minutes later I knew what it was.  A little brown bat was hanging above the doorway to Linda’s office.  I got a towel and very gently caught it and took it outside.  It seemed somewhat disoriented at first, but then it flew off, I’m hoping to catch insects and live a full life.  

If you do get a bat in your house, don’t panic.  Eventually they will roost.  Then you can catch them by using a towel or thick rag.  Since bats do occasionally have rabies, and their teeth are like sharp little knives, you wouldn’t want to pick them up with your bare hands.  


On the other hand, you don’t want to kill them.  Given the decline in the Pennsylvania bat population because of White Nose Syndrome, we need to save every possible bat we can.

1 comment:

  1. This happened to us and my freaked out wife made us get rabies vaccine at Pocono Medical Center. They billed $2500. for the initial vaccine for the 2 of us.
    City hicks in the country, go figure.

    ReplyDelete