Thursday, June 7, 2018

Local politics

In the May issue of the Atlantic, James Fallows has an article about how, while national politics is toxic, local jurisdictions are solving problems, behaving in a civil manner, and generally acting like governments are supposed to act in a democracy.

Using my own unrepresentative sample, I think he may be right.  We have been through some small towns that are well-kept and, on the surface at least, look like their citizens care about their surroundings and one another.  Waseon, Ohio; Walnut, Iowa; Laramie, Wyoming; Lymon, Wyoming–all look like places I where I could live in peace.

Drivers are polite, clerks are helpful, residents give directions.  In spite of the mean-spirited MAGA people you always see at Trump rallies, most people that I've seen on this country trip are just nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment