Saturday, June 30, 2018

Report on the Rally in Bethlehem

There were between 300 and 400 people at the rally in downtown Bethlehem.  We heard from various speakers, including a few candidates, a representative from ACLU, a clergywoman, and activists in the immigration reform movement.  

It was incredibly hot, and I took refuge in some shade.  Most of the people stood in the sun.  The rally organizers provided bottled water.

I took my poster that said “Have we learned nothing from the Carlisle Indian School?” and I displayed it for about five minutes, but I I had made another poster that said “ICE belongs in lemonade” and just below that in smaller letters “and margaritas.”  That one got lots of comments and photos.  A woman had a similar sign that said “ICE is for gin and tonics,” and we exchanged thumbs up.

I only saw two people from Carbon County, friends John and Sandy.  We probably should have done something up here, but we didn’t get our act together in time.  Our best organizer is in California and won’t be back until Tuesday night.

On the way out I spoke to a woman about my age who said she was heartened by all the young people in attendance.  Most of these rallies are mainly old people.  (It also occurred to me that rallies might be a good place for old people to hook up.)


I liked that the organizers had a table to register voters, although I have a feeling that most people there were already registered. 

3 comments:

  1. Most of the rallies are attended by old people because non-retired people have to work. I'm always discouraged when Linda says "10:00 on Monday" or "Noon on Wednesday" for an event because I know I can't be there. On the weekends we're working our second job. It's a rat race.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, love the ICE poster!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the compliment. I will be soon posting more about the decline of the middle class in the era of Trump. We keep hearing about how well the economy is doing, but wages are not rising and with the latest Supreme Court ruling, unions will become even less important. People are working two jobs and still are just above the poverty line.

    ReplyDelete