Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Skipping politics on Father's Day

Margaret Renkl wrote a column in today's Times about her Trump-supporting father-in-law.  She quoted Sister Helen Prejean, the nun who worked with death-row inmates, who said that people are more than the worst thing they've ever done.

I can understand why people may have voted for Trump.  They may have felt he would grow into the job, like Truman did.  They may have thought he was saying all those nasty things in the campaign, but he couldn't really be that bad.  They may have thought he would really change the Washington culture. They may have concluded that Hillary Clinton was a bridge too far.

What I can't understand is why those Trump voters would continue to support him in light of the corruption in his cabinet, the environmental protection rollbacks, the separation of kids from their parents by ICE, the tariffs, the tax cut for the rich, the continuing attempts to undermine our judiciary and our free press, and on, and on.

I can still be civil to people who voted for Trump.  I can still talk to them.  I think I could even sit at the same table with them.  I do think they have some explaining to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment