Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Ben Sasse

When I read Nebraska Senator Ben Sasse’s book Them, I was impressed.  Sasse wrote about how we are divided into tribal groups, and he had some suggestions on how to overcome this.  He wrote about the importance of community-building, and even discussed how high school sports helped to do that.

I was so impressed I sent him a reprint of my study of community-owned movie theaters in Kansas along with a letter praising the book, although I did criticize him for home schooling his children, which I thought was the antithesis of community building.

I never heard back, but that was ok, since I figured he was a busy U.S. Senator who kept his integrity in the face of Trumpian dysfunction.

I was wrong.  Trump endorsed him for re-election, and he has muted–ok, abandoned–his criticism of Trump.  He has turned out to be the usual Republican gutless toady who will do what it takes to win re-election.  


I must hand it to Justin Amash, the Tea Party guy who is running against Trump.  He’s a guy who seems to be unwilling to abandon his principles.  Sasse, the coward who only talks a good game, could take a lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment