Friday, September 6, 2019

Can he do that?

I taught American Government for over 40 years, but I never realized that a president could move funds around on his own.  Tax bills must originate in the House.  Congress controls the “purse strings.”  The Executive branch does not have the power to allocate funds.  At least that is what I taught.

Now Trump has ordered the Pentagon to divert funds from military construction projects in almost half of the states, three territories, and 19 countries to build a wall on the border with Mexico.  I assume these projects were part of the effort to defend the U.S.  I also assume The Wall is a vanity scheme to satisfy all those people who chanted “Build the Wall” at Trump rallies, although they also chanted “Mexico” when Trump asked who would pay for it.


I don’t understand how these things can happen.  I don’t understand how Congress doesn’t rise up and impeach this clown.  I don’t understand how we can be called a democracy when things like this can happen.

2 comments:

  1. Obviously individual one thinks that democracy is evil and should be gotten rid of. After all, he said it himself, "I'm the chosen one." So if he is the chosen one, he can't be wrong on anything. he proves it every day. Look how NOAA issued a statement about Alabama was in the path of Dorian. Rise up people!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Birmingham office held firm. The national office knuckled under. When Nixon was president and ordered the IRS and the CIA to do illegal stuff, they rebuffed him. Bureaucrats had more integrity in those days.

    ReplyDelete