Saturday, September 14, 2019

Pit Bulls

Whenever I write about religion (Lancaster Farming is still getting replies to my critical letter about the religious column they print, and that was over a month ago) or cats (it is amazing how many people still maintain the Egyptian religious views on the sacredness of cats), the number of enemies I have grows exponentially.  Thank goodness I’m not on Facebook.  I wouldn’t have any “friends” at all.

I’ve  decided to increase the number of people who don’t like me.  I’m posting about pit bulls.

Today the New York Times ran an article about a man who has been charged with cruelty to animals because he strangled a pit bull that was attacking another dog.  Thousands of people have signed a petition demanding that he be severely punished.  

Earlier this week the Lehighton Times News ran a front page article about a man whose pet pit bull severely bit a family member.  

When is the last time you saw an article about a dachshund attacking someone?  About a border collie mauling a kid?  A chihuahua killing a baby?  If you saw a guy on the street with a beagle on a leash and another with a pit bull, which dog would you pet?


At this point pit bull owners will jump up and down and shout how their dogs are gentle, loving, wonderful, and how the mean ones are the fault of their owners.  How do I tell the difference?  I am perfectly willing to believe there are nice pit bulls.  I also believe that if you own one, that says a lot more about you and the image you are trying to project than it does about the poor dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment