Thursday, April 8, 2021

Muons wobble

 The big news today on the front page of the New York Times was that the subatomic particles called muons wobble in unexpected ways.  Over 700 scientists from seven countries have been working on experiments involving muons, and the findings have caused excitement in the scientific world because they were unexpected.  

One of the labs that worked on the problem was at Brookhaven.  I have a friend who worked there for a number of years.  I called him tonight, and he was quite pleased.  He was planning to explain it to me, but I stopped him.

While I have no idea what this means or why it is important, I love that fact that scientific endeavor still crosses national lines, that smart people still work on things that may not have a monetary payoff, and that science is still discovering how the universe works.  So much better than reading about voter suppression, mass shooting, and Q-Anon.

No comments:

Post a Comment