Friday, April 16, 2021

Traffic enforcement made easy

 When I drive on the Pennsylvania Turnpike, I no longer pay an attendant at the booth.  I couldn’t even if I wanted to; my E-Z Pass is recorded as I drive under some kind of scanner.  (Unfortunately, I forgot to hold it up the scanner thing to the windshield the last time I got off at the “slip ramp,” so although I only drove from Mahoning to Albrightsville, I think I will be charged for the entire length of the Turnpike.)

Anyway, my point is that police don’t have to pull people over to cite them.  Obviously we need enforcement for speeding, expired plates, and dangerous driving, but we have the technology to deal with that type of infraction without pulling someone over on the shoulder.  A technological method would also eliminate the problem of a DWB.  

Nobody would get shot, and nobody would get run over.

I would like to say this idea is original with me, but I read about it in an op-ed piece by Sara A. See, a professor at Columbia Law School, in today’s New York Times.

3 comments:

  1. You should log in to your "EZ Pass" account and see if you can pay it on line. There is usually a time frame to pay for the missed toll. It is possible that the scanner picked up your pass. So look at your account for that, history section or whatever it may be called in Pennsylvania. I believe in Illinois this can be done. Never had that issue because my "I Pass" is mounted on the windshield.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roy, You need to put Velcro on your window shield. I have it on all my cars so that when I use another car I put it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tips. I'll get on it.

    ReplyDelete