Friday, August 11, 2023

Lawrence H. Tribe on the Supreme Court

Did you ever read an article and think–everyone must read this?  Lawrence H. Tribe, constitutional law prof at Harvard, is the best authority on the U.S. Supreme Court.  Ok, that’s my personal view, but I’ll stand by it.  I don’t know why some Democratic President hasn’t named him to the Supreme Court 


In the Summer Issue of The New York Review of Books, Tribe reviews five recent books on the Court.  What is so great about the review is Tribe’s take on the Court and his recommendations on how to fix things.  He notes, for example, that most for most of our history the Court has been quite willing to trample on our rights; it is only for a brief period that the Court defended rights, and even then it was relying on laws passed earlier by Congress.


I can’t reprint the article here.  It is five pages long, small print, on large format paper.  I went to the New York Review of Books website, and I think you have to pay to read the whole article.  I urge you to do so.  Take a half hour and do it.  It is the best article I have read on the recent Court’s decisions and what might be done to fix things without destroying the Court. 

No comments:

Post a Comment