Thursday, August 24, 2023

Social media skeptic

A few weeks ago a song was released about life in a small town.  Evidently the song is some kind of tribute to nostalgia for life in the past, and evidently it is seen as a slam at liberals.  Evidently it is also being pushed by various rightist influencers on social media.  I know this because I read about it.  I have never heard the song.  I probably never will.  Nor do I know the name of the singer.  I never argued about the song on Facebook, because I’m not on Facebook.  I never heard the song on Spotify.  (I think that is where you hear songs.)  It will never come though my cell phone because I don’t have one.  I won’t listen to it on my earbuds in the gym because I don’t have earbuds.


Now there is a new song entitled “Rich Men North of Richmond.”  Again it is pushed by right-wing media and has moved into the number one position.  It made the front page of the New York Times.  I have never heard it; probably never will.  See above.


Sometimes I just bask in my ignorance.  I get what I need to know in the New York Times, the New York Review of Books, the New Yorker, Harpers, the Atlantic Monthly, Lancaster Farming, and the Pennsylvania Game News.  I know I sound smug.  I am smug.  Elon Musk and Mark Zuckerberg and their ilk can do you know what.

2 comments:

  1. Apparently, the song does not mean what the Republicans think:
    https://youtu.be/3qawM0ZcgYg?si=q1FyTYyityLxOE96

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right. See my later post with the YouTube link.

    ReplyDelete