Friday, August 18, 2023

No trans Barbie!

Emily St. James, a movie critic and a trans woman, found the Barbie movie “deeply frustrating and strangely resonant.”  The movie includes a trans actress, Dr. Barbie; I assume that’s the resonant part.  But Emily St. James says the movie leaves little room outside the binary female/male.


Really?  I just can’t enjoy the movie?  We have to drag this in?  I consider myself a sensitive and tolerant person, but sometimes I just get exhausted.  


See Emily St. James, “Barbie and Ken and Nothing in Between, “New York Times, (Aug. 17, 2023), p. C2. 

1 comment:

  1. Yeah. Not every film needs to be a stand for social justice. In fact, why does every writer, artist, or film producer need to take every social justice cause into consideration when they create whatever they're creating?

    ReplyDelete