Thursday, August 17, 2023

What can we get for $10 mil?

Last November the voters of Carbon County approved a 10 million dollar bond issue for farmland preservation and clean water.  A committee was appointed by the County Commissioners to spend the money.  I went to the meeting of the Committee tonight and listened to a discussion of how to set priorities.  The members will discuss this further, but from the comments, it appears that the committee will concentrate on areas that are contiguous to already protected forests or farms located in areas that are most likely to be developed.  Another consideration is providing corridors and emphasizing areas that have the most biological diversity.  


I was impressed with the seriousness of the members.  All of them, of course, are unpaid volunteers.


P.S.  As many of you know, there are four counties named Carbon in the U.S.  I don’t want to have to keep saying Pennsylvania each time I write Carbon.  If I mean one in Montana or Wyoming or Utah, I’ll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment